Barley Salad with Spinach and Strawberries
Sweet, tart strawberries make a delicious addition to a summer salad. If you’re taking this to a party, add nuts just before serving to keep them crunchy.
- Barley Salad
- 1 cup dry pearl or pot barley 250 mL
- 4 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped 1 L
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and halved 500 mL
- 1/2 cup soft goat cheese 125 mL
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted 75 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 45 mL
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup 30 mL
- 1 tsp grainy mustard 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1. Bring large saucepan of water to a boil, add barley and cook for 40-45 minutes or until tender. Then drain well, running under cool water to stop grains from cooking, and transfer to wide, shallow serving bowl. Set aside to cool completely.
- 2. Add spinach, celery and onions to cooled barley and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with strawberries, goat cheese and pecans.
- 3. To make vinaigrette: In medium bowl or small jar, whisk or shake together all ingredients. Pour over salad and gently toss to combine.
- 4. Serve immediately.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Gras saturés||2.5 g|
Couscous, Watermelon and Gorgonzola Salad
A flavorful watermelon salad with the sharp tang of Gorgonzola cheese will make any luncheon a success. Canola oil’s light taste and texture is ideal for a vinaigrette and works well with the dish’s lively flavors.
Cranberry Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Tasty salad using 'super' healthy foods like spinach, cranberries, almonds and canola oil!