Eye of Round Roast with Rich, Dark Gravy
Start off the New Year in a healthy way filled with cozy comfort! The secret to this deep-flavored dish is instant coffee, which “beefs” up the taste. Canola oil’s high heat tolerance is ideal for browning the beef.
- 2 lb eye of round beef roast, trimmed 1 kg
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 15mL
- 1 cup water, divided 250mL
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee granules 15mL
- 1 Tbsp sodium-free beef bouillon granules 15mL
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5mL
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5mL
- 3/4 tsp black pepper, divided 4mL
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided 2 mL
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour 30mL
- 1. Preheat oven 325° F. (160 °C). Coat 9 x13-inch (22 x 33-cm) baking pan with canola oil cooking spray.
- 2. In medium skillet, heat 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef 2 minutes on each side then place beef in baking pan. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) water and Worcestershire to skillet, stir bottom and sides, and pour over beef.
- 3. In small bowl, combine coffee granules, bouillon granules, oregano, garlic powder, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) black pepper and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Sprinkle evenly over all.
- 4. Cover tightly with foil and cook 45-50 minutes or until meat thermometer reaches 145 °F (63 °C) for medium rare and 160 °F (71 °C) for medium to well done. Place beef on cutting board and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. (Note: Temperature will rise another 10 degrees while resting.)
- 5. To pan residue in skillet, whisk in flour and remaining canola oil until smooth. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup (175 mL) water, cook on medium heat until thickened, stirring with flat spatula. Stir in 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper. Serve over sliced beef.
8 servings (1 1/2 lbs/750 mg cooked beef and 1¼ cups/310 mL sauce)
3 oz cooked beef and about 2 Tbsp (30 mL) sauce
|Gras saturés||1.5 g|
Beef Ragout with Grilled Bread
This dish can be made in a slow-cooker or the stovetop. Canola oil is used to make both the ragout and grilled bread because of its neutral flavor and heat tolerance. The ragout is served with bread to soak up the hearty and flavorful broth, but it can be served with pasta or polenta instead.
Citrus Chili Pork Roast
Do not completely eliminate hot pepper because results will not be as intended.
Maple Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Rosemary
Pork tenderloin is lean, yet tender and flavourful. Its long, narrow shape allows it to cook quickly, making it a great choice for fast, weeknight meals. Searing the meat on the stovetop first in a drizzle of canola oil adds flavour by browning the exterior; it then finishes cooking quickly in the oven. A simple, five-ingredient marinade does double duty - after infusing the meat its simmered into a sweet, savoury sauce to serve alongside the roasted pork.