Maple Walnut Chiffon Cake
This chiffon cake tastes even better with Brown Sugar Glaze on top. For best results, chiffon cakes should be baked in a round cake tube pan. This allows for the cake to cook evenly.
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour 550 mL
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 175 mL
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed 175 mL
- 1 Tbsp baking powder 15 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 3/4 cup cold water 175 mL
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 tsp maple flavoring 20 mL
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 2 mL
- 1 cup egg whites (8 to 10) 250 mL
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped fine 250 mL
- Brown Sugar Glaze
- 3 Tbsp non-hydrogenated canola margarine 45 mL
- 1/2 cup brown sugar 125 mL
- 3 Tbsp milk 45 mL
- 1 cup icing sugar 250 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
- 2. Sift together cake flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Add canola oil, water, egg yolks and maple flavouring; beat until smooth.
- 3. In separate bowl, add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat to form stiff peaks.Fold egg whites into flour mixture until just blended. Fold in nuts. Turn batter into 9-inch (22 cm) tube pan.
- 4. Bake 55 minutes at 325 °F (160 °C); increase heat to 350 °F (180 °C) and bake another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven and invert pan over cup or glass for 2 hours to cool. Turn cake right side up, run knife around edges and invert onto serving platter. Frost with brown sugar glaze.
- 5. Brown Sugar Glaze: In medium saucepan, melt margarine, brown sugar and milk. Slowly bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- 6. Add icing sugar and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Drizzle onto cake immediately, as the glaze will harden when it cools.
20 pieces cake and 1 cup (250 mL) glaze
|Gras saturés||2 g|
Chiffon Celebration Cake
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Brenda La Noue. See Chef Stephen Durfee prepare the recipe in the video below.
Welcome the Jewish New Year with a slice of honey cake to ensure a sweet, prosperous year. The type of honey you choose clover, buckwheat or lavender will add additional flavor and reflect autumn aromas. After measuring the canola oil, use the same measuring cup for the honey and it will slide out more easily. Canola oil makes this cake moist and light.