- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups ice water 300 mL
- 1 cup all purpose flour 250 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp white pepper 1 mL
- 1/2 lb seafood, cut into bite-size pieces 250g
- 1/2 lb chicken, cut into bite-size pieces 250g
- cauliflower, snow peas, sliced carrots, red or green bell pepper strips, bean beans and thin asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups canola oil 750 mL
- Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce 125 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar 15 mL
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced 5 mL
- 1/4 cup sake, dry sherry or apple juice 60 mL
- 1. To make Batter: Beat egg yolk with fork, add cold water and mix well. Add flour and just stir to combine. Batter should be quite thin, about the consistency of cream. Add more ice water if necessary. Mixture should leave just a thin coating on seafood or vegetables when dipped.
- 2. Blot dry prepared vegetables, chicken or seafood in a paper towel and then roll in flour. Dip into the tempura batter and deep fry immediately in hot canola oil. Serve with Teriyaki Sauce.
- 3. To make Teriyaki Sauce: In a bowl, combine soy sauce, garlic, sugar, ginger, and sake.
- Note: Ensure seafood, chicken and vegetable pieces used are dry and near room temperature before dipping them into the batter.
3/4 cup(175 mL) meat and 2 tsp (10 mL) sauce
Based on a serving with battered fish and chicken
|Gras saturés||3 g|
Japanese Sesame Slaw
This colourful salad offers tangy flavor and crunch. Much lighter than a classic coleslaw, pack it along on your next picnic or enjoy as an accompaniment to fish, chicken or grilled tofu kabobs.
Soba Noodles with Mushroom, Spinach & Tofu
Instead of high-sodium packaged ramen for lunch, try healthy soba buckwheat noodleswith a protein-packed vegetarian sauté. Because mushrooms tend to soak up so much oil, they are sweated in a covered pan so that they soften in their own juices. While tofu is the traditional protein in this Japanese dish, you can substitute leftover cubed chicken or turkey for the tofu, and peas for the edamame, if you like.