Autumn Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf
Health professionals recommend increasing the intake of omega 3 fatty acids from foods such as salmon, lake trout, walnuts and canola oil.
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice 125 mL
- 2 oz chopped walnuts 60 g
- 1 Tbsp canola oil, divided 15 mL
- 3 oz whole mushrooms, wiped clean and quartered 90 g
- 1/2 cup diced onion 125 mL
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed 250 mL
- 1/2 of a medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced 1/2
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning 1 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 2 mL
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until hot. Add walnuts and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant, stirring frequently. Set aside on separate plate.
- 2. Using the same skillet, add 1 tsp (5 mL) of the canola oil; swirling to coat bottom. Add mushrooms and onion, lightly coat vegetables with canola cooking spray and cook 2 minutes. Add corn, bell peppers and poultry seasoning and sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat, cover to keep warm.
- 3. Drain rice, shaking off excess liquid and add to mushroom mixture; stir in walnuts, salt and black pepper. Drizzle the remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) oil over all and toss gently.
4 cups (1 L)
Serves 8; 1/2 cup per serving OR serves 6; 2/3 cup
Per Serving - Based on 8 -1/2 cup (125 mL)
|Gras saturés||0 g|
Chickpea and Millet Grain Salad
Ancient grains are so popular, but have you tried millet? It’s similar to bulgur wheat in texture, but it’s gluten-free!
Grilled Lamb Chops with Fresh Ginger Couscous
This company-worthy dish is made by marinating tender lamb chops and serving them over a mound of pearl couscous with heady sweet spices and a generous amount of fresh mint. Canola oil carries the flavors of the lamb rub and keeps the chops from sticking to the grill.
Red Beans and Rice
Traditionally, red beans and rice is served on Mondays, especially during the Mardi Gras season. It is generally made using dried beans and smoked pork sausage, but heres a hurried up version with canned beans that is flavorful and healthy, too. Canola oil helps brown the lean turkey sausage and keep saturated fat in check.