Quinoa and Browned Onion Salad with Apples
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa 125 mL
- 1/4 cup (1 oz/28 g) pecan pieces 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil, divided 15 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped red onions 250 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped Granny smith apple 250 mL
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or cherries 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp pourable sugar substitute 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp orange zest 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes .5 mL
- 1. In medium saucepan over high heat, bring water to boil. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered tightly, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Drain in fine-mesh sieve and run under cold water to cool quickly, shaking off excess liquid.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add nuts and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- 3. In skillet, heat 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil, tilting to coat bottom lightly. Add onions and cook 8 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside on dinner plate in thin layer to cool quickly, about 4 minutes.
- 4. In medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients.Add quinoa, onions, and nuts, tossing gently, yet thoroughly, until well blended.
- Tip: Quinoa is an excellent vegetarian source of protein. It is gluten-free and a good source of fiber and minerals as well. If not available, quinoa may be substituted with brown rice.
3/4 cup (175 mL)
|Gras saturés||1 g|
Layered Spinach and Quinoa Salad
This colorful salad is equally attractive and tasty whether assembled in layers in a clear glass bowl or simply tossed altogether. The combination of yogurt, cheese, vegetables and grains makes for a well-balanced vegetarian meal. Canola oil’s low saturated fat content keeps the dressing free-flowing in the refrigerator.
Lemon Cucumber Quinoa
The crunch of cucumber meets hearty quinoa in this bright, light dish that makes for a satisfying meal or side dish on-the-go. Canola oil carries the flavors of the salad while adding a healthy dose of omega-3 fat.