Canola oil is a great choice for high heat cooking. Canola oil has one of the highest smoke points of all commonly used vegetable oil at 468 °F (242 °C).
- 2 tsp granulated sugar 10 mL
- 1/4 cup warm water 60 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp active yeast 20 mL
- 1/2 cup hot water 125 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar 60 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk 125 mL
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose 875 mL
- canola oil for deep frying
- icing sugar or colored sugar
- 1. In small bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle in yeast; let stand for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- 2. In large mixing bowl, combine hot water, canola oil, sugar, salt and evaporated milk. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add dissolved yeast and egg. Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) flour and beat until smooth. Add remaining flour to make soft dough. Chill for up to 24 hours in refrigerator.
- 3. Roll out to 1/8 inch (3 mm) on floured surface, cut into 2 inch (5 cm) squares. Heat oil to 375 °F (190 °C). Fry 3 or 4 beignets at a time for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until each side puffs out and is golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with icing sugar or colored sugar. Serve warm.
2 1/2 dozen
|Gras saturés||1 g|