Beef With Black Beans & Vegetables
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 tsp granulated sugar 5 mL
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger 5 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oyster sauce 20 mL
- 1 Tbsp Shoa Hsing rice cooking wine or dry sherry 15 mL
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil 2 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch 7 mL
- pinch of ground white pepper
- 8 oz flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain 225g
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped ginger 30 mL
- 2 tsp minced garlic 10 mL
- 2 Tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed and drained well 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the bias
- 4 oz snow or snap peas 125g
- 2 cups Bok Choy or Napa Cabbage, cut into 2-inch pieces 500 mL
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/2 dice
- 1. In mixing bowl, combine salt, granulated sugar,garlic, minced ginger, oyster sauce, cooking rice wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch and white pepper. Add beef and mix well, allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Heat large flat bottom wok or skillet over high heat. Swirl in 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) canola oil and chopped ginger; stir fry for 10 seconds. Add garlic and black beans; stir fry for 1 minute. Add beef and marinade, spread to thin layer on wok, cook for 30 seconds and stir fry for about a minute until set but not cooked thoroughly. Remove from wok and set aside on warm plate.
- 3. Add remaining oil to wok and add vegetables. Stir fry for 2 minutes or until slightly softened and return beef and juices to wok. Stir fry until the beef is cooked to desired doneness. Transfer to warm serving platter.
3/4 cup (175 mL).
|Gras saturés||1.5 g|
Chicken With Ginger and Cashews
This classic Cantonese stir-fry traditionally uses cashews that are deep fried. A healthier approach is to oven roast the nuts which brings out more flavor of the cashews. Young ginger is available mostly in the spring and summer and is more tender and milder in flavor than the regular ginger that is found year round. Young ginger is pale yellow and does not require peeling and has pink-tipped shoots. If you find young ginger, reduce the amount by half.
Ginger Shrimp With Gai Lan
Canola oil's mild flavour make it a great choice for recipes that you want the flavours of the ingredients to shine through.