Skillet Quinoa with Black Beans, Cilantro and Feta
This quick and easy dish is a made-to-order meal for everyday athletes. Quinoa, a gluten-free whole grain, and black beans supply athletes with carbohydrates, fiber, protein and other nutrients that help produce energy, restore cells and replenish nutrient stores. Canola oil keeps saturated fat to a minimum and lets the fresh ingredients shine.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 cup diced onions 250 mL
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper 500 mL
- 1 1/2 cups water 375 mL
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa 175 mL
- 1 can (15 oz/426 mL) reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts 60 mL
- 2 tsp chili powder 10 mL
- 1/3 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese* 75 mL
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 60 mL
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1. In large, non-stick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and pepper. Sauté 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown on edges, stirring occasionally. Add water and quinoa. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and cook on medium-low for 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- 2. Remove from heat, stir in beans, walnuts, chili powder, feta, cilantro, garlic and salt. Cover and let stand 2 minutes to heat through and absorb flavors.
- *Note: For a vegetarian version, replace feta with vegan cheese or tofu. Leftovers? Add quartered grape tomatoes, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a bit more cilantro for an easy meatless entrée.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Gras saturés||1.5 g|
Curried Lentils and Vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavored dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet. Make lentils a regular part of your meals for quality protein and a good source of fiber. Try this recipe with different vegetables such as cauliflower, bell peppers, celery or broccoli.
Layered Spinach and Quinoa Salad
This colorful salad is equally attractive and tasty whether assembled in layers in a clear glass bowl or simply tossed altogether. The combination of yogurt, cheese, vegetables and grains makes for a well-balanced vegetarian meal. Canola oil’s low saturated fat content keeps the dressing free-flowing in the refrigerator.