Fresh Tips & Recipes
Sweet, juicy oranges. Bright red strawberries. Crisp, cool lettuce. Mouth-watering sweet potatoes. You can almost savor these foods by description. Fresh foods like these taste so good and are so good for you! Here are some tips for incorporating fresh, healthy ingredients into your meals:
1. Buy produce in-season while it's more flavorful and less expensive.
2. Only buy as much produce as you can use, and look out for bruises, odors and discolorations.
3. Maximize freshness by storing your produce at the proper temperature.
4. Grow your own fresh herbs.
5. Take advantage of local farmers' markets.
6. Be mindful of "sell by" and "use by" dates.
7. Learn how to carefully select meat, fish and poultry, and pick these items up last to minimize the time when they're not refrigerated.
8. Store oil in a cool, dark cupboard, and use a sniff test when you've had it for a while.
9. Make your own salad dressings and marinades using canola oil.