Fast Tips & Recipes
Making a heart-smart, home-cooked meal can be easier than it looks. Plus, cooking at home can often be done in less time than eating out, and it allows you to better control the ingredients. Try these shortcuts:
1. When heading to the grocery store, make a list to be sure to get everything you need and avoid filling your cart with unhealthy or snack foods.
2. Save yourself the trouble of cooking from scratch every day and double the recipe for the next day's meal.
3. Wash your produce when you bring it home, and if possible, pre-cut fruits and veggies accordingly.
4. Plan ahead and thaw overnight.
5. Diversify your cooking techniques for better multitasking.
6. If several of your recipes during the week call for the same ingredient, prepare the ingredient for all the recipes on the first night that you cook.
7. Canned or frozen fruits and vegetables keep longer than fresh, so have them on hand for a healthy quick-fix meal.
8. Use your slow cooker to simmer the meal during the work day and have it ready to eat when you get home.
9. Keep your refrigerator and pantry stocked with our top 10 healthy ingredients for easy cooking just in case.
Top 10 Healthy Ingredients for Easy Cooking
1. Canned lentils and dry beans (chickpeas,