The 12 Days of Delicious” Desserts to Celebrate the Season
Cook (and Sing!) Along with CanolaInfo’s Holiday Recipe Collection
Why 12? In the spirit of the season, these recipes offer a playful and tasty twist on the well-known song “The 12 Days of Christmas.” But instead of a partridge in a pear tree or two turtle doves, CanolaInfo carries the tune with A Partridge in a Pear Cheesecake and Two Turtle Cakes!
“‘The 12 Days of Delicious’ collection is a great source of holiday recipe inspiration because it includes small treats, party standouts and seasonal flavors like gingerbread and peppermint,” says Scott Samuel, chef-instructor at The Culinary Institute of America, who developed several of the recipes.
Other desserts featured include Lemon-Grand Marnier Madeleines (“three French hens”), Pineapple Upside Down Cake (“five golden rings”) and Star Anise- and Orange-Infused Canola Ice Cream (“eight maids a milking”).
Each dessert is made with heart-smart canola oil, which contains the least saturated fat and the most plant-based omega-3 fat of all common culinary oils.
“Using canola oil in place of butter for baked goods and other sweets helps lighten up desserts, plus its neutral flavor and high heat tolerance means it’s extremely versatile in the kitchen,” adds Samuel, who demonstrates how to prepare four of the 12 recipes in step-by-step online videos.
Cook and sing along with the collection, available at CanolaInfo.org:
- A Partridge in a Pear Cheesecake (Mini Pear-Ginger Cheesecakes with Gingersnap Crust)
- Two Turtle Cakes (Espresso Chocolate Turtle Cake)
- Three French Madeleines (Lemon-Grand Marnier Madeleines and video)
- Four Phyllo Nests (Apple Ginger Phyllo Nests)
- Five Pineapple Rings (Pineapple Upside Down Cake)
- Six Baklava Laying (Pistachio Baklava and video)
- Seven Cakes a Swimming (Molten Chocolate Cake and video)
- Eight Scoops a Milking (Star Anise- and Orange-Infused Canola Ice Cream and video)
- Nine Cookies Dancing (Snow-Capped Fudge Cookies)
- Ten Pies a Leaping (Candy Cane Whoopie Pies)
- Eleven Cupcakes Piping (Sinful Bliss Cupcakes with Sweetened Whipped Cream Frosting)
- Twelve Ginger Men Drumming (Gingerbread Men)
“What’s clear from these recipes is that canola oil works well in a variety of desserts,” Samuel notes. “Whether it’s for brushing phyllo dough, infusing ice cream or baking up a molten chocolate cake, canola oil can do it all.”