Grilled Lamb Chops with Fresh Ginger Couscous
This company-worthy dish is made by marinating tender lamb chops and serving them over a mound of pearl couscous with heady sweet spices and a generous amount of fresh mint. Canola oil carries the flavors of the lamb rub and keeps the chops from sticking to the grill.
- 2 tsp canola oil 10 mL
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 tsp cardamom 10 mL
- 1 tsp cumin 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder 2 mL
- 8 lamb loin chops, trimmed (about 4 oz/125 g each)
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 mL
- Fresh Ginger Couscous
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts 30 mL
- 1 cup dry tricolor pearl couscous 250 mL
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest 5 mL
- 2 Tbsp golden raisins, cut in half 30 mL
- 2 tsp grated ginger 10 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint or cilantro 125 mL
- 1. In small bowl, combine 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil, lemon juice, cardamom, cumin and garlic and rub over both sides of lamb chops. Place in 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33-cm) baking pan, cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Coat grill or grill pan with canola oil cooking spray and preheat on medium-high heat. Cook lamb 10 minutes, or to desired degree of doneness, turning occasionally. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and black pepper.
- 3. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, toast pine nuts 1-2 minutes or until golden. Set aside on separate plate.
- 4. In same saucepan, cook couscous according to package directions. Remove from heat, stir in lemon zest, pine nuts, raisins, ginger, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, salt and mint.
- 5. Serve lamb on bed of couscous mixture.
4 servings (8 lamb chops and 3 cups (750 mL) couscous mixture)
2 lamb chops and 3/4 cup (175 mL) couscous
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Cumin and Garlic Scented Lamb Skewers
This grilled spiced kabob is inspired by the popular street vendors of Western China. Traditionally made with lamb, the recipe works with beef or chicken, too. Canola oil helps prevent the meat from sticking to the grill.
Lamb with Lemon Rosemary Cucumbers
Cut your work load in the kitchen by making one flavor base and using it two ways! In this recipe, the herb mixture is used in both the lamb marinade and cucumber dressing! Canola oil works two ways here, too, as a mild-tasting backdrop to the herbs and as a heat-tolerant cooking oil for roasting the lamb.