Roasted Vegetable Minestrone
Absolutely fabulous! The roasted vegetables with the prosciutto add many wonderful flavors to this earthy, rich Italian vegetable soup. Roast the veggies and then complete the soup in minutes.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 5 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp pepper 2 mL
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 oz prosciutto 55 g
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 tsp basil 5 mL
- dash red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14oz/398 mL) can whole tomatoes in juice, broken up
- 9 cups chicken broth, regular or low sodium 2.25 L
- 1 (16oz/455 mL) can cannelloni beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup penne pasta noodles 150 mL
- garnish with grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C).
- 2. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, tomatoes, red onion, and garlic. Add canola oil, salt and pepper to taste and toss. Line baking sheet with foil. Place vegetables on the foil lined baking sheet. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring vegetables after 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 3. In a large non-stick pot, coated with canola oil cooking spray, cook prosciutto, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 4. Add bay leaves, tomatoes, chicken broth and beans. Bring mixture to a boil and add pasta. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in roasted vegetables. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
12 servings 12 cups (3L)
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Chilled Roasted Yellow Pepper Soup
Don’t let this chilled soup fool you. It is still packed with lively flavors! Canola oil’s mildness helps the taste of these fresh ingredients shine.
Cream of Roasted Carrot Soup
This silky soup is rich with flavor, while still light and healthy. Roasting the carrots and cauliflower first in canola oil allows the vegetables natural sweetness to shine through.