Spicy Ginger Beef & Rice Soup with Lime
Canola oil is the healthiest vegetable oil. It has no trans fats and the lowest saturated fat level of any commonly used vegetable oil.
- 3 to 4 medium green onions
- 3 cups reserved cooked medium or long grain rice 750 mL
- 2 (14oz/400g) cans reduced sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reserved ginger beef stir fry 1 L
- 1 1/2 Tbsp grated ginger root 20 mL
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes .5 mL
- 1 medium lime, cut in wedges
- 1. Thinly slice white parts of onions and set aside. Diagonally slice green tops of onions and set aside in separate bowl.
- 2. Place rice in microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high 2 minutes or until heated through.
- 3. In large saucepan, bring broth to boil over high heat. Add stir fry mixture, white part of onions, ginger and pepper flakes. Return to boil and then remove from heat.
- 4. Spoon equal amounts of soup into four bowls, mound 3/4 cup (175 mL) rice in center of each bowl and top with sliced onion greens. Serve with lime wedges.
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Chicken With Ginger and Cashews
This classic Cantonese stir-fry traditionally uses cashews that are deep fried. A healthier approach is to oven roast the nuts which brings out more flavor of the cashews. Young ginger is available mostly in the spring and summer and is more tender and milder in flavor than the regular ginger that is found year round. Young ginger is pale yellow and does not require peeling and has pink-tipped shoots. If you find young ginger, reduce the amount by half.
Ethiopian Chicken with Berberi Sauce and Fresh Ginger
This historic dish is a prime example of how a handful of the right spices, introduced by traders along the spice route, create a perfect balance of hot and sweet. Add good quality poultry, canola oil, a few onions and pieces of ginger and you have a meal fit for a king. If you can find injera bread – spongy, crepe-like, sourdough bread from an Ethiopian restaurant or store – you will witness a heavenly marriage on your very own plate.