Grilled Pineapple with Raspberry Puree
This quick-to-prepare dessert is healthy and simply delicious! I like to serve the lightly grilled fresh fruit with vanilla yogurt. To add a little crunch, accompany with Cinnamon Sugar Triangles.
- Raspberry puree
- 1 package (10 oz/280 g) frozen raspberries in light syrup, thawed 280g
- 1 Tbsp honey 15 mL
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 8 fresh pineapple rings (1/2 inch/1.25 cm)
- 2 tsp canola oil 10 mL
- 4 tsp packed brown sugar 20 mL
- 1. Pour raspberries (with the syrup) and the honey into food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Pour the mixture into a strainer and place over small bowl. Stir to press liquid into bowl. Stir in nutmeg. Discard seeds.
- 2. To grill pineapple, heat stove top grill pan over high heat. When a drop of water sizzles, lightly brush both sides of the pineapple rings with canola oil and place on the pan. Grill for 2 minutes per side or until warm with light grill markings.
- 3. For each serving, spread dessert plate with 3 Tbsp (45 mL) raspberry puree. Top with 2 pineapple rings and, while the pineapple is very warm, sprinkle each serving with 1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar. Serve warm.
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Grilled Pineapple with Ginger and Star Anise Marinade
Fresh ginger and whole star anise perfume this healthy, low-fat dessert. Canola oil is used to coat the pineapple before grilling because of both its high heat tolerance and mild flavor.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
This classic cake was made famous by womens magazines after canned pineapple became available in slices. The recipe here gets a fresh, healthy update with canola oil keeping it moist, light and low in saturated fat; the addition of tender, whole-grain pastry flour; and a lovely kick of crystallized ginger to mingle with the pineapple in the caramelized topping. You and your guests will be turned upside down by it!