Cajun Pile Ups with Pepper Sauce
Reminiscent of New Orleans, these sandwiches are ragin' with flavor from the hot sauce and banana pepper.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil 20 mL
- 2 tsp Louisiana-style hot sauce 10 mL
- 2 tsp cider vinegar 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves 1 mL
- 1/2 of (16 oz/ 500g) loaf multigrain Italian bread, cut into 8 slices
- 4 cups (about 2 oz/ 60g) loosely packed, torn romaine pieces 1 L
- 2 Tbsp (1 - 2 oz/ 30 - 60 g) pickled mild banana pepper rings, drained 30 mL
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 4 slices and then halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion 125 mL
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb deli-sliced lean ham 125 g
- 2 thin slices (1 1/2 oz/ 50 g) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
- 1. Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir until completely blended.
- 2. Drizzle one side of each bread slice with sauce and top four bread slices (sauce side up) with equal amounts of filling ingredients in the order listed, beginning with torn lettuce. Top with remaining bread slices (sauce side down), press down slightly, and cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Cajun Garlic Chicken Thighs
Now this is definitely a slow-simmered skillet of comfort! Tender pieces of chicken are smothered in a rich, brown, garlicky onion sauce. Youll want to double this recipe and keep some in the freezer to pull out after one of those hectic days!
Chicken and Okra Creole
This Cajun-inspired dish makes a great one-dish meal. Its packed with tons of flavor, fast to make, and even faster to clean up. Only one skillet required. Canola oil aids in browning and tenderizing the chicken, plus blends the flavors of other ingredients.