Fusilli Pasta with Chile Sauce and Black Bean Fennel Relish
This fresh, vibrant pasta will have you bowing to the goodness of vegetables.
- Chile Sauce
- 8 dried New Mexican chiles*
- Boiling water, as needed
- 1 cup (about half 14.5-oz can) fire-roasted tomatoes, drained 250 mL
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed** 250 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 10 oz whole-grain fusilli pasta or other spiral-shaped pasta 300 g
- Black Bean-Fennel Relish
- 1 small zucchini, grated, excluding core
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut in half, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley 30 mL
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed, to divide** 375 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1/4 cup feta cheese for garnish 60 mL
- 1. To prepare chile sauce: In bowl, place chiles and cover with boiling water to rehydrate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let chiles sit 30 minutes. When chiles have rehydrated, remove from water, reserving 1 cup (250 mL) chile water for later use. Make slit down each chile, split them lengthwise and remove chile seeds. Be careful not to touch your eyes or other sensitive areas while handling chiles. Once completed, wash hands thoroughly.
- 2. In food processor, add chiles, 1 cup (250 mL) reserved chile water, tomatoes, 1 cup black beans and canola oil. Purée until mixture is smooth and reserve for later use.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain pasta in colander but do not rinse with water.
- 4. To prepare black bean relish: In bowl, combine zucchini, fennel, parsley, scallions, lemon, remaining black beans and canola oil. Set aside.
- 5. In large saucepan, warm chile sauce over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes until heated. Remove from heat, add pasta and stir briefly to coat noodles with sauce.
- 6. Transfer pasta to large serving bowl and add black bean-fennel relish to center of pasta. Garnish with feta cheese and serve.
- Tips: *If you prefer less heat, substitute dried ancho or Anaheim chiles or use fewer New Mexican chiles.
- ** To get 2.5 cups of black beans, you will need to purchase two 15-oz (450 mL) cans or one 29-oz (about 824 mL).
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Tuna Stir-fry Over Whole Wheat Vermicelli
Using cubed tuna in a stir-fry is unusual in a fantastic way. Combined with fresh veggies, edamame and whole-wheat pasta, this dish is teeming with nutrients and fiber. Because small batches are made at a time, stir-fries are a great way to cook for one, four or eight
Garlic Rosemary Pork Tenderloin with Fruit Compote Over Greens
Canola oil infused with lemon and rosemary offers a touch of herb flavouring to both the fruit compote and pork tenderloin. Greens mixed with Brussels sprout leaves are heightened by a splash of grapefruit juice and fennel seeds to convert any said hater of this misunderstood sprout.
Grilled Salmon Over Lentil Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
This healthy, delicious meal is easy to make and easy to enjoy. Eat it for lunch, dinner or even a picnic. Canola oil in the marinade and vinaigrette allows the zingy taste of the Dijon mustard and fresh herbs to come through. Canola oil also provides heart-smart omega-3 fat along with the salmon and walnuts.