Spiced Garbanzo Bean Pie with Potato Crust
A hearty main dish for a vegetarian, this will appeal to meat eaters, too, as its packed with protein, starch and gusto. Serve it alongside a simple green salad and a dollop of Greek-style thick yogurt for a satiating and healthy meal.
- Potato Crust
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 lb Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and shredded 1 kg
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric 2 mL
- Garbanzo Filling
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 tsp cumin seeds 5 mL
- 1 medium red onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, stem, seeds and ribs removed, cut into thin strips
- 2 Tbsp ground coriander 30 mL
- 2 tsp ground cumin 10 mL
- 2 cans (15 oz/450 mL) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups (about one 15-oz can) stewed tomatoes, including juice 500 mL
- 1 habañero chile, stem removed, finely chopped (do not discard seeds)
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat provolone cheese 500 mL
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems 60 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Liberally spray two 9-inch (22-cm) pie pans (bottoms and sides) with canola oil cooking spray.
- 2. In medium bowl, combine potatoes, canola oil and tumeric. Divide dough into two equal halves and press each half into one of prepared pie pans, making sure bottom and sides get covered with potato shreds.
- 3. Bake in oven 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 4. To make filling, heat canola oil in large skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle, about 15 seconds.
- 5. Add onion and bell pepper and stir-fry until onion is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 6. Stir in ground coriander and cumin, allowing them to cook and turn aromatic, about 15 seconds.
- 7. Add garbanzo beans, tomatoes and chile. Stew mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until almost all liquid is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 8. Turn off heat and allow pans contents to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.
- 9. Stir in cheese, eggs and cilantro.
- 10. Divide and spread filling equally among two prepared potato crusts. Bake pies, uncovered, until centers are cooked and crusts are brown, about 45 minutes.
- 11. Allow pies to rest about 10 minutes. Slice into wedges and serve.
12 servings (6 slices per pie)
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
Phyllo Bundles with Saffron Flavored Chickpeas
In this dish, crispy, burrito-style bundles cocoon a world of flavors found in Greek kitchens. Sweet-scented saffron, fragrant nutmeg and pungent black peppercorns combine with nutty chickpeas, iron-rich greens and salty feta. Canola oil binds these flavors and prevents the phyllo sheets from sticking together, creating a flaky texture. Serve these bundles of deliciousness with a green salad for an incredible lunch or dinner.