Grilled Salmon Over Lentil Salad with Walnut Vinaigrette
This healthy, delicious meal is easy to make and easy to enjoy. Eat it for lunch, dinner or even a picnic. Canola oil in the marinade and vinaigrette allows the zingy taste of the Dijon mustard and fresh herbs to come through. Canola oil also provides heart-smart omega-3 fat along with the salmon and walnuts.
- 4 salmon fillets (4 oz/125 g portions), skin removed
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, pulled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dry brown or green lentils, rinsed 250 mL
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, very finely diced 60 mL
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp chopped tarragon 15 mL
- Walnut Vinaigrette
- 2 Tbsp red onion, minced 30 mL
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard 30 mL
- 1/4 cup rice or champagne vinegar 60 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped 125 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1 mL
- lemon wedges for garnish
- 1. In medium bowl, combine all marinade ingredients. Place salmon in marinade and gently toss until thoroughly coated. Place fish in resealable bag in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- 2. Heat grill to 375 °F (190 °C), when its too hot to hold hand above coals for more than 5 seconds.
- 3. In 5-quart pot, bring 3 cups (750 mL) of water to a boil. Add lentils, garlic cloves, bay leaf and rosemary sprig. Cook lentils until just tender, about 30 minutes. Strain in colander.
- 4. In plastic bowl or cup with fitted lid, combine all vinaigrette ingredients. Shake until thoroughly mixed and emulsified. Season with pepper.
- 5. In large bowl, toss lentils, carrots, celery and red onions together. Stir in enough vinaigrette, about 1/4 cup (60 mL), to coat lentil mixture and store rest in refrigerator for up to one week. Toss in fresh parsley and tarragon.
- 6. Spray grill rack lightly and cautiously with cooking spray, then carefully place salmon fillets on hot grill 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Cook on each side 3-4 minutes at diagonal angle to grill rack for professional-looking grill marks. Remove salmon from grill and serve over lentil salad. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
- Tip: The marinade doesnt have a lot of acid, so its perfect for marinating the salmon for up to 10 hours before grilling (or broiling). Consider placing the salmon and marinade in a resealable bag before work and cooking it when you get home. As another time-saver, the components of the lentil salad may be made up to a day ahead and tossed in the vinaigrette at the last minute or 2 hours before serving. As a quicker alternative, use 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) canned, rinsed lentils or black or small red beans instead.
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Asian Orange Soy Marinated Salmon
This Asian-inspired marinade blends together traditional ingredients found in teriyaki sauce such as soy sauce, garlic and ginger, but adds orange juice and chili flakes for a twist. Canola oil showcases these ingredients beautifully while protecting the salmon on the grill.
Grilled Salmon with Dijon Raspberry Vinaigrette
Raspberries and Dijon mustard make a unique combination of sweet and savory, which is perfect for grilled salmon.