Deep, Dark and Stout Chili
Heart healthy chili made with dark stout beer!
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 1/2 lb/750 g extra lean ground beef (or 1 lb/500 g extra lean ground beef and 15-oz/426 mL can kidney beans, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups diced green bell peppers 500 mL
- 1 cup diced red onion 250 mL
- 3 cans (14.5 oz/412 mL each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 bottle (12 oz/341 mL) dark stout beer
- 3 Tbsp chili powder 45 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground cumin 20 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika (optional) 20 mL
- 1 Tbsp sodium-free beef bouillon granules 15 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- Toppings :
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves 125 mL
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion 125 mL
- 1 medium lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1. Heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown beef, about 3-4 minutes per batch, stirring frequently.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook bell peppers and onions 4 minutes or until onions are soft, stirring frequently. Stir into cooked beef. Add stewed tomatoes, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bouillon. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Stir in salt.
- 3. Serve chili with choice of toppings placed in three small bowls.
- Cooks note: Like most chili recipes, the flavors are more blended if the chili is served the next day. This dish freezes well, too.
1 1/3 cups (325 mL) chili
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Chili Con Carne
This is a hearty dish that works great with a side of cornbread. Add some shredded cheddar on top for more flavor!