Chicken Soup Mexicana
All of your favorite Mexican flavors mix together in this soup while the canola oil and avocado supply healthy fats. ¡Muy delicioso!
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 2 tsp cumin 10 mL
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes 5 mL
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock 2 L
- 2/3 cup lentils 150 mL
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, chopped 540 mL
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs cooked chicken, cubed 1 kg
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas 250 mL
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced
- In Dutch oven, heat canola oil. Add garlic, onion and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender. Season with black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, tomatoes and carrots. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Add chicken, zucchini and peas.
- Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with avocado slices.
- Yield: 10 servings. Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL).
10 servings. Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups (375 mL).
1 1/2 cups (375 mL).
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Beef and Mushroom Soup
This hearty, chunky soup is perfect for any cold night and makes enough for lunch leftovers the next day! Or freeze the rest for up to 3 weeks. Lean beef and heart-healthy canola oil help keep saturated fat to a minimum.
Braised Beef and Vegetable Stew
This beef and vegetable stew is a healthy take on a hearty classic. Braising allows the beef and vegetables to reach the perfect tenderness while the tomatoes, red wine and Worcestershire give the dish just the right amount of acidity.