Caesar Style Salad With Whole Wheat Croutons
The whole wheat croutons that top this popular salad are a healthier alternative to your regular croutons.
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk 125 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola mayonnaise 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp fat free sour cream 30 mL
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard 10 mL
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano leaves 4 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp black pepper .5 mL
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce (6 oz/170g total) 1.5L
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 30 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- 2. Place the bread cubes on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake 11-12 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely until hard (about 8-10 minutes).
- 3. Meanwhile, combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth
- 4. At time of serving place the lettuce and onion in a large bowl. Pour in the dressing and toss until coated thoroughly. Add croutons and Parmesan; toss gently yet thoroughly. Serve.
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Arugula and Mackerel Salad
Mackerel’s distinct flavor makes this recipe a standout. Canola oil adds a healthier touch to the salad, plus its light texture and mild taste are perfect for vinaigrettes.
Black Bean and Edamame Avocado Salad
Edamame is a superstar legume! Just 1/2 cup (125 mL) of edamame punches up the fiber, protein and vitamin/mineral content of your diet.