String Cheese Bread Sticks
- 1/4 cup warm water 60 mL
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast 11 mL
- 1 tsp granulated sugar 5 mL
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 500 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp dried oregano 5 mL
- 1 tsp dried thyme 5 mL
- 1 tsp dried basil 5 mL
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/3 cup water 75 mL
- 16 mozzarella sticks
- 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated canola oil margarine, melted 60 mL
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 125 mL
- 1. Combine 1/4 cup (60mL) of water, yeast and sugar. Stir to dissolve yeast and let stand until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Fit food processor bowl with steel blade. Measure flour, salt, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, basil and pepper into mixing bowl. Process until mixed, about 5 seconds. Add canola oil and yeast to flour mixture. Process until blended, about 10 seconds. Slowly drizzle water through feed tube into flour mixture so dough forms a ball that cleans side of bowl. If dough is too dry, add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of water at a time or if too moist, add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of flour at a time until dough is soft, smooth and satiny but not sticky. Remove dough from process and knead for about 1 minute on floured surface. Place dough into covered bowl in warm place and allow to rise about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured surface. Roll into rectangle 1/4 inch thick.
- 3. Using knife or pizza cutter, slice dough lengthwise into ten strips about 1-inch wide, and then cut strips in half. Place cheese stick in center, bring ends up, pinch sides and roll dough around cheese. Place on oiled baking sheet 2 inches apart. Brush tops with 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola margarine and sprinkle with 1/4 cup (60 mL) Parmesan cheese. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn broiler on, and brush breadsticks with remaining melted margarine and Parmesan cheese. Broil just until cheese starts to turn light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Caramelized Onion and Garlic Soup
This delicious soup is the essence of comfort food: caramelized onions and garlic topped with toasted bread and melted cheese. Roasting the garlic first as the onions caramelize gives it a head start. Canola oil’s neutral taste won’t interfere with these heady aromatics.
Cheddar Parmesan Poutine
These French fries are a playful spin on a Quebecois favorite lightened up with canola oil. Traditionally made with cheese curds, poutine in this recipe features cheddar and Parmesan instead for sharper flavors.