Curried Lentils and Vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavored dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown rice or millet. Make lentils a regular part of your meals for quality protein and a good source of fiber. Try this recipe with different vegetables such as cauliflower, bell peppers, celery or broccoli.
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp curry powder 10 mL
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 mL
- ½ tsp ground cloves 2 mL
- ½ tsp dried thyme 2 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- ½ cup dried green lentils, rinsed 125 mL
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced 250 mL
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (14 oz / 398 mL) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp cooking sherry 15 mL
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper 1 mL
- chopped cilantro, optional garnish
- 1. In large saucepan with lid, heat canola oil to medium. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, cloves and thyme. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 2. Add water, lentils, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes (and their liquid) and sherry. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Season to taste with pepper and garnish with cilantro, if using. Serve.
2/3 cup (150 mL)
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Curried Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew
This stew is perfect year-round, although it's most appreciated on a cold winter night!
Curried Tofu in Pita Bread
Make sure your curry powder is less than six months old to ensure the best flavor! Using neutral-tasting canola oil helps those lively spices stand out. This dish is also great simply served with rice.