Crunchy Wild Rice Salad with Blackberry Dressing
Prepare the wild rice up to 2 days in advance to make quick work of this gorgeous salad. A perfect accompaniment to any grilled or roasted meat, also a lovely side in a packed lunch. Serve warm or cold.
- ½ cup wild rice 125 mL
- 2 cups water 500 mL
- ½ cup celery, diced 125 mL
- ½ cup cucumber, diced 125 mL
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped 60 mL
- ½ cup fresh or frozen blackberries, divided 125 mL
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar 45 mL
- 1 ½ Tbsp canola oil 20 mL
- 2 tsp granulated sugar 10 mL
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper 1 mL
- ¼ cup toasted pecans, chopped 60 mL
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 60 minutes. Remove from heat with lid still on and allow to stand for 30-60 minutes until desired texture is achieved. Drain and cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine rice, celery, cucumber and green onion.
- 3. Prepare dressing: Whisk well or use blender to combine ¼ cup of the blackberries, red wine vinegar, canola oil, sugar and pepper.
- 4. When ready to serve, in a large bowl or individual plates, place rice mixture on bottom, sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup blackberries, pecans and drizzle with dressing.
½ cup (125 mL)
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Caribbean Grilled Pork with Tropical Salsa
This tangy, sunny dish will help you feel that summer is just around the corner.
Chunky Grilled Vegetable Guacamole
The best thing to say about this recipe is Yum! Enjoy this delicious guacamole as a snack or appetizer with a few whole grain tortillas. Its also nice as a side to grilled fish, chicken or any Mexican dish. Ole!