Cream of Roasted Carrot Soup
This silky soup is rich with flavor, while still light and healthy. Roasting the carrots and cauliflower first in canola oil allows the vegetables natural sweetness to shine through.
- 8 carrots, peeled and chopped into large pieces
- 1 whole cauliflower, chopped into large pieces
- 1 white onion, cut into quarters
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, finely chopped 15 mL
- 1/8 tsp salt 0.5 mL
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 60 mL
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock 750 mL
- 2 cups 1% milk 500 mL
- 1/2 cup white wine 125 mL
- 1/4 cup toasted pistachios, crushed 60 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 ºF (180 ºC).
- 2. On baking sheet, place carrots, cauliflower, onion and garlic. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour canola oil over vegetables, toss and cover with foil. Roast in oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil cover and roast for 15 more minutes or until golden color.
- 2. In large stockpot on medium heat, combine flour, chicken stock, milk and wine. Stir to incorporate flour. Add roasted vegetables. Use immersion blender to blend ingredients until soup has smooth texture.
- 3. Simmer soup over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes to let flavors blend. Serve hot in bowls or cups and garnish with toasted pistachios.
1 cup (250 mL) soup and 1 tsp (5 mL) pistachios
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Butternut Squash Soup
This hearty soup combines the earthiness of pumpkin with the sweeter notes of apple juice and a little spicy kick. Canola oil is ideal for sautéing thanks to its high heat tolerance, plus its light, neutral taste lets subtle flavors pop.