Chicken and Okra Creole
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast meat, cut into bite-size pieces 350 g
- 1 cup diced onions 250 mL
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 6 oz fresh or frozen and thawed okra, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) slices 170 g
- 1 can (14.5 oz/428 mL) no-salt- added stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves 7 mL
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley or green onion 60 mL
- 2 tsp Louisiana hot sauce 10 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 2 cups cooked brown rice 500 mL
- 1. In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 3 minutes or until slightly pink in center, stirring occasionally. Set aside on separate plate.
- 2. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and cook onions and peppers for 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to lightly brown on edges. Stir in garlic and cook 15 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in okra, tomatoes, thyme, and chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat.
- 3. Stir in parsley, hot sauce and salt. Cover and let stand 5 minutes to absorb flavors.
- 4. Meanwhile, prepare rice according to package directions. Serve the chicken mixture over rice.
1¼ cups (310 mL) chicken mixture and 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooked rice per serving
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|