Cajun Garlic Chicken Thighs
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL, divided
- 4 skinned chicken thighs with bone in, trimmed of fat
- 1 cup diced onions 250 mL
- 12 medium garlic cloves, peeled only
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour 30 mL
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth 250 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves 2 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp black pepper 1 mL
- 1, In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Set aside on separate plate.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Set aside with chicken.
- 3. Stir flour into pan residue in skillet and cook 2 minutes over medium heat or until beginning to lightly brown, stirring constantly. Stir in broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Add chicken, onions and any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is almost tender.
- 4. Place chicken to one side of skillet, add and mash garlic cloves with back of a spoon. Combine chicken and garlic and turn chicken pieces over several times or until well coated. Cover and cook 5-7 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Tip: Serve over hot cooked rice, egg noodles or mashed potatoes, if desired (2 cups or 500 mL total).
3 oz (90 g) cooked chicken and about 3 Tbsp (45 mL) sauce
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Chicken and Okra Creole
This Cajun-inspired dish makes a great one-dish meal. Its packed with tons of flavor, fast to make, and even faster to clean up. Only one skillet required. Canola oil aids in browning and tenderizing the chicken, plus blends the flavors of other ingredients.
Chunky Chicken, Vegetable and Rosemary Stew
Here's a great one-pot meal to warm and soothe a hungry, weary body after a hard workout. By using chicken, vegetables and beans, this stew provides a serving of high-quality protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients. Canola oil is a good source of healthy fats.
Grilled Chicken on Mustards with Pineapple Vinaigrette
Take a break from the typical bagged salads and reach for mustard greens instead! They taste a lot like endive, and serve up not only a dose of flavor, but also vitamins A and C. This salad provides 190 percent of your daily requirement of vitamin A and 170 percent of vitamin C in every serving!