Roast Beef with Wild Mushroom Sauce
- 2 1/2 lb outside round beef roast 1.1 kg
- 1 1/2-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 7-10 mL
- 1 oz mixed dried wild mushrooms 30 g
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth 500 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp finely minced shallots 30 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns, coarsely crushed 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp brandy 30 mL
- 2 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour 37 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 275 ºF (140 ºC). Lightly spray 9 x 9-inch (22 x 22 cm) metal roasting pan with canola oil cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. Pat roast dry. Cover entire roast with ground black pepper and shake off excess. Place in prepared pan and roast in preheated oven for 1 1/4-1 3/4 hours or until internal temperature registers 140 ºF (60 ºC) with instant-read thermometer. Remove from oven and tent loosely with foil.
- 3. During last 30 minutes of cooking, prepare sauce. In medium saucepan, bring beef broth and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add mushrooms, covering them well with broth mixture. Let set at room temperature for 30 minutes to soften. Drain mushrooms, reserving broth. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- 4. In large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes or until soft; do not brown. Add garlic, peppercorns, Dijon mustard and reserved chopped mushrooms and cook for another minute. Deglaze pan with brandy and cook for one more minute. Add flour and cook again for 1 minute. Whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- 5. Transfer meat to cutting board and slice thin. Cover with sauce and serve.
3 oz (90 g) meat plus ¼ cup (60 mL) sauce
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
Autumn Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf
Health professionals recommend increasing the intake of omega 3 fatty acids from foods such as salmon, lake trout, walnuts and canola oil.
Beef and Mushroom Soup
This hearty, chunky soup is perfect for any cold night and makes enough for lunch leftovers the next day! Or freeze the rest for up to 3 weeks. Lean beef and heart-healthy canola oil help keep saturated fat to a minimum.