Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- canola oil cooking spray
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar 75 mL
- 4-5 pineapple rings (about 1/4 of whole pineapple) about 1/2-inch (1.25-cm) thick
- 2 Tbsp chopped crystallized ginger 30 mL
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour 310 mL
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour* 175 mL
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 175 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk 250 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract 7 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Generously spray bottom of 9-inch (22-cm), nonstick layer cake pan with canola oil cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, then arrange pineapple rings on top in one layer. Sprinkle chopped ginger pieces in spaces around pineapple rings and in their centers.
- 2. In medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. In another medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, canola oil, eggs and vanilla.
- 3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until combined. Pour batter over pineapple-brown sugar mixture and bake until top is lightly browned and wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then run knife around cake edges and, using oven mitts, invert cake onto large serving plate.
- Note: *Whole-wheat, all-purpose flour can be substituted for whole-wheat pastry flour.
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake with Caramel Sauce
Try to resist this delicious apple Bundt cake topped with a rich caramel sauce!
Lemongrass Cheesecake with Mandarin Orange Garnish
An impressively rich-tasting version of a classic cheesecake, lightened up with a surprise ingredient that also adds protein - cottage cheese. In addition to Mandarin oranges, the light lemon flavour also pairs nicely with cranberries or blueberry sauce or other seasonal fruit.