Barley With Caramelized Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp canola oil, divided 30 mL
- 3/4 cup pearl barley 175 mL
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth 1 L
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 package (8 oz/250 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise, and cut into thin strips
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 45 mL
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar 15 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper 1 mL
- 1. In saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp canola oil over medium-high heat. Add barley and toast 3 to 4 minutes.
- 2. Add broth to barley. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until barley is tender, about 40-45 minutes. Drain off excess broth. Cover to keep barley warm.
- 3. Meanwhile, in large frying pan, heat remaining 1 Tbsp canola oil. Add onion and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add red pepper, mushrooms and garlic and sauté 3 to 4 minutes.
- 4. Add zucchini, balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and continue to cook about 4 to 5 minutes longer. Season with pepper. Serve over barley.
1/2 cup (125 mL)
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Bunless Bison Burger with Sautéed Vegetables and Balsamic Reduction
Upgrade this bun-less burger with a balsamic reduction and sautéed vegetables, made with canola oil to help keep saturated fat in check. Dijon mustard and rosemary enhance the flavour of bison.
Pulled Pork with Smoked Paprika Lime Oil
Bring the flavors of Mexico into your kitchen. This easy-to-make dish of tender pork over warmed tortillas is topped with a citrus oil of smoked paprika, lime and garlic and finished with a sprinkling of pungent cilantro. Canola oil does double duty here: its high heat tolerance is perfect for browning the pork and its neutral taste lets the flavors of other ingredients shine.
Chunky Chicken, Vegetable and Rosemary Stew
Here's a great one-pot meal to warm and soothe a hungry, weary body after a hard workout. By using chicken, vegetables and beans, this stew provides a serving of high-quality protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients. Canola oil is a good source of healthy fats.