Chiffon Sponge Cake
Source: The Culinary Institute of America, Category:
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Brenda La Noue. Check out videos of the recipe being made by a CIA Chef instructor on the Chef Page of our website.
- canola oil cooking spray
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 14 oz cake flour
- 7 oz sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 egg whites
- 7 oz sugar
1. Lightly spray a 3-x-8-inch or 2-x-10-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment and flour the sides of pan.
2. In bowl, whip canola oil and egg yolks until combined. Add water and vanilla extract.
3. In mixer bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Place bowl on electric mixer.
4. Add egg yolk mixture and beat gently just to combine. Scrape down bowl.
5. Beat at high speed for 20 seconds to fully aerate. Remove from mixer machine and scrape down bowl. Set aside.
6. In another mixer bowl, whip the egg whites to a foam. Slowly sift in second measure of sugar and whip to firm peaks.
7. Gently fold meringue into reserved batter. Transfer to cake pan.
8. Bake in a 325 °F convection oven for about 30 minutes.
9. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool thoroughly.
Yield: One 3 by 8-inch or 2 by 10-inch cake.
< Back to main Find Canola Recipes page