These Gingerbread Men are mixture of spicy and sweet. Canola makes a perfect texture for this traditional cookie.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour 725 mL
- 1/2 tsp baking soda 2 mL
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon 15 mL
- 2 tsp ground ginger 10 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 3/4 cup canola oil 175 mL
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 125 mL
- 1/2 cup molasses 125 mL
- 1 large egg
- 1. In large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves and salt. Set aside.
- 2. In large bowl, whisk canola oil, brown sugar, molasses and egg. With wooden spoon, gently add all of flour mixture all at once. Mix only until it gathers, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Pat into disc, wrap with plastic film. Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm. Remove about one fourth of the dough, (keeping remainder refrigerated until ready to use) place on a floured surface. Roll out to about the thickness of a pie crust (1/4 inch/.05 cm).
- 4. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- 5. Using gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut dough. Place on prepared baking sheet. Fill sheet with cut cookies, separating by 1/2 inch (1 cm).
- 6. Bake in preheated oven until dry looking on the top, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- 7. Keep cookies on pan to cool complete prior to placing them on wire rack.
- Tip: You can place raisins and candies into the dough prior to baking to create the eyes, buttons and mouth.
24 to 36 cookies
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
Apple Ginger Phyllo Nests
These yummy mini tarts are a nice little treat when you want something sweet.
Try these moist and chewy gingersnaps made with canola oil to significantly lower total fat content.