Kale Salad with Hazelnut Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 4 cups chopped kale 1 L
- 2 Tbsp chopped, toasted hazelnuts 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp dried cranberries 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp blue cheese crumbles 30 mL
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, whole leaf 60 mL
- Hazelnut-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar 75 mL
- 1 Tbsp water 15 mL 2 tsp Dijon mustard 10 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped thyme 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp black pepper 2 mL
- 1⁄4 cup crushed, toasted hazelnuts 60 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 1. In large bowl combine, kale, hazelnuts, cranberries, blue cheese and parsley. Set aside.
- 2. To prepare Hazelnut-Balsamic Vinaigrette: In medium bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, water, Dijon mustard, salt, shallot, garlic, thyme, pepper and hazelnuts. Using immersion blender, combine ingredients and slowly add canola oil until emulsion forms.
- 3. Add vinaigrette to kale salad, toss and serve.
Just over 1 cup (250 mL) salad
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
Serve as a sublime side dish along with lean cuts of pork, roasted chicken or meaty fish dishes such as salmon or tuna steaks. Using canola oil helps keep saturated fat to a minimum in this heart-healthy recipe.