Zucchini, Squash and Grape Tomato Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Basil Vinaigrette
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves 250 mL
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar 30 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 tsp Dijon style mustard 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chopped into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and chopped into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 1 cup grape tomatoes 250 mL
- 4 cups fresh spring mix greens 1 L
- 1. In blender, combine basil, broth, vinegar, canola oil, mustard and pepper. Purée until smooth.
- 2. Transfer mixture to large bowl and add zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes. Toss to coat vegetables with vinaigrette.
- 3. Arrange spring mix greens on serving platter. Spoon zucchini mixture and vinaigrette over greens and serve.
- Tips: Buy whatever mixed baby greens look the best at the grocery store or farmers market. It may be any blend of arugula, romaine, mustard greens, frisée and baby lettuce. To make this a complete meal, top the salad with grilled or roasted salmon, turkey tenderloin, lean steak or chicken breast.
1 cup (250 mL) vegetable mixture with vinaigrette, 1 cup (250 mL) spring mix greens
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
Arugula and Mackerel Salad
Mackerel’s distinct flavor makes this recipe a standout. Canola oil adds a healthier touch to the salad, plus its light texture and mild taste are perfect for vinaigrettes.
Asian Noodle Salad
Adding fresh ingredients, such as ginger root and garlic, helps add flavour without adding sodium.