Breakfast Strata Primavera
This stunning dish is like a savory bread pudding studded with colorful, spring vegetables and full of rich flavor. By using canola oil and a mix of whole eggs and egg whites, you get the sumptuous flavor of most breakfast bakes without the saturated fat. This dish makes entertaining a breeze since you prepare it the night before. In the morning, just pop it in the oven, then relax and enjoy your guests.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (about 1/2 pound/250 g), trimmed and sliced into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen 250 mL
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 whole-wheat baguette or other crusty bread (8 oz/500 g), cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes (about 8 cups/2 L)
- 6 large eggs
- 10 large egg whites
- 2 cups nonfat milk 500 mL
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard 15 mL
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, lightly packed 60 mL
- 2 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup/125 mL) 60 g
- 1 large carrot, shredded (1 cup/250 mL)
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced 60 mL
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon leaves or 1 tsp/5 mL dried tarragon 15 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 5 mL
- 1. In large nonstick skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Add asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until just beginning to soften, about 1 minute. Stir in peas, remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. Coat 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33-cm) baking dish with canola oil cooking spray. Arrange bread cubes over bottom. In large bowl, beat whole eggs, egg whites, milk and mustard together until blended. Add vegetable mixture, both cheeses, carrot, sun-dried tomatoes, tarragon, salt and pepper, stirring to incorporate. Pour mixture over bread, making sure liquid saturates bread. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- 3. Remove strata from refrigerator, uncover and allow to sit at room temperature while you preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). (Do not keep at room temperature for more than 20 minutes.) Bake until set and top forms golden brown crust, 70-80 minutes.
1 1/2 cups (375 mL)
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|