Maple Walnut Chiffon Cake
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour 550 mL
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 175 mL
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed 175 mL
- 1 Tbsp baking powder 15 mL
- 1 tsp salt 5 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil 125 mL
- 3/4 cup cold water 175 mL
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 tsp maple flavoring 20 mL
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar 2 mL
- 1 cup egg whites (8 to 10) 250 mL
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped fine 250 mL
- Brown Sugar Glaze
- 3 Tbsp non-hydrogenated canola margarine 45 mL
- 1/2 cup brown sugar 125 mL
- 3 Tbsp milk 45 mL
- 1 cup icing sugar 250 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 °F (160 °C).
- 2. Sift together cake flour, sugars, baking powder and salt. Add canola oil, water, egg yolks and maple flavouring; beat until smooth.
- 3. In separate bowl, add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat to form stiff peaks.Fold egg whites into flour mixture until just blended. Fold in nuts. Turn batter into 9-inch (22 cm) tube pan.
- 4. Bake 55 minutes at 325 °F (160 °C); increase heat to 350 °F (180 °C) and bake another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cake from oven and invert pan over cup or glass for 2 hours to cool. Turn cake right side up, run knife around edges and invert onto serving platter. Frost with brown sugar glaze.
- 5. Brown Sugar Glaze: In medium saucepan, melt margarine, brown sugar and milk. Slowly bring to boil. Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.
- 6. Add icing sugar and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Drizzle onto cake immediately, as the glaze will harden when it cools.
20 pieces cake and 1 cup (250 mL) glaze
|Gras saturés||2 g|
Chiffon Celebration Cake
Recipe developed at The Culinary Institute of America by Chef Instructor Brenda La Noue. See Chef Stephen Durfee prepare the recipe in the video below.