Curried Corn and Pepper Chowder
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion 125 mL
- 1 Tbsp curry powder 15 mL
- 1-16 oz bag frozen corn 453g
- 2 cups whole milk 500 mL
- 1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable stock (made using stock concentrate, power, or cubes) 250 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste 1 mL
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese 250 mL
- paprika for garnish
- 1. Heat the canola oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the curry powder; stir for about 30 seconds. Stir in the corn, milk and vegetable stock. When the liquid begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium; cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- 2. Blend with an immersion blender until about half of the vegetables are pureed. (Or allow the soup to partially cool. Transfer 2 cups (500 mL) of soup to a standing blender or food processor. Process until the mixture is nearly smooth, and then stir back into the Dutch oven.)
- 3. Season with salt and pepper. Stir gently over medium heat until heated through. Garnish each serving with 1/4 cup (60 mL) cheese and sprinkling of paprika.
- - Canned reduced- sodium chicken broth can be substituted for the vegetable stock.
- - Skim or 2% milk can be substituted for the whole milk, resulting in a less rich soup.
- - To make the meal more filling for non-vegetarians, top servings with shredded rotisserie chicken (skin and bone removed).
4 servings (5 cups - 1.19L)
|Gras saturés||9 g|
Asian Shrimp Soup
This earthy Asian soup is perfect to warm you up on a cold day and canola oil's light taste wont interfere with the soups layered flavors. Add red pepper flakes if you like more heat!