Creamy Pumpkin Apple Bisque
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 cup diced onions 250 mL
- 1/2 medium Gala apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14oz/398 mL) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 of (15oz/426 mL) can solid pumpkin
- 2 Tbsp sugar 30 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 7 mL
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper .5 mL
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free half and half 375 mL
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream 60 mL
- 1. Heat canola oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and apple; cook 5 minutes or until onions begin to brown.
- 2. Place onion mixture in a blender with 1 cup (250 mL) broth. Secure lid, and puree until smooth. Return onion mixture to saucepan; add remaining ingredients, except half and half and sour cream. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove from heat and gradually add half and half while stirring. To serve, spoon equal amounts of soup into four shallow bowls and top with dollops of sour cream.
- Flavorful tip: Adding the apple while browning the onion brings out the sugars of the apple and richly brown the onions quickly.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Gras saturés||1 g|
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Wild Rice and Toasted Almonds
This tasty, autumn-inspired soup will make you look forward to the end of summer.
Rustic Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Crostini
This hearty soup combines tomatoes with the classic flavors of basil, garlic, onions and red peppers for a healthy and comforting meal. Cooking vitamin A-packed tomatoes with heart-healthy canola oil allows for better absorption of vitamin A and other fat-soluble vitamins. The grilled cheese crostini offers the same taste as the classic sandwich, but with fewer calories and carbohydrates since its open-faced.