Porcini Mushroom Gravy
- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms 15 g
- 2 Tbsp warm water 30 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil 20 mL
- 6 Tbsp white whole-wheat flour 90 mL
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth 500 mL
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional) 4 mL
- 1 tsp onion powder 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste 1 mL
- 1. Soak mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes.
- 2. In 1-quart (1.1 L) saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour until blended and continue stirring until roux is lightly browned and develops nutty aroma.
- 3. Whisk in broth, optional salt and onion powder. Bring to a gentle boil until just thickened, stirring. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with pepper. Add softened mushrooms and any soaking liquid.
- 4. Purée gravy in food processor or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat just to a simmer.
2 cups (500 mL)
1/4 cup (60 mL)
|Gras saturés||0 g|
Eye of Round Roast with Rich, Dark Gravy
Start off the New Year in a healthy way filled with cozy comfort! The secret to this deep-flavored dish is instant coffee, which “beefs” up the taste. Canola oil’s high heat tolerance is ideal for browning the beef.