Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup
- 4 dried Chinese black (shiitake) mushrooms
- hot water
- 2 tsp canola oil 10 mL
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 5 cups vegetable broth 1.25 L
- 1/4 cup canned bamboo shoots, drained, julienned 60 mL
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water 45 mL
- 3 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce 45 mL
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar 75 mL
- 3/4 tsp ground white pepper 4 mL
- 6 oz savory baked or firm tofu, julienned 170 g
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 stalks green onion, thinly sliced
- 1. In small bowl, soak dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes or until softened. Cut off stems and any hard areas and discard. Cut caps into thin slices. Set aside.
- 2. In stock pot, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and carrots and cook 2 minutes or until carrots are just soft. Add vegetable broth and bamboo shoots and bring to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture and stir until soup thickens, about 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, rice vinegar and white pepper. Stir.
- 3. Add tofu and bring soup back to a boil. While stirring soup in circular motion in one direction, pour eggs in thin stream into soup.
- 4. Remove soup from heat. Stir in green onions. Taste and adjust flavor with rice vinegar and white pepper. Serve immediately.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Gras saturés||0 g|
Classic Split Pea Soup
This timeless soup will have your guests green with envy over your culinary skills.