Whole Grain Apple Oven Pancake
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, unpeeled, sliced into 1/8-inch (3-mm) pieces
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice 15 mL
- 2 Tbsp packed light brown sugar, divided 30 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon .5 mL
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk 175 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 75 mL
- 1/3 cup whole-grain pastry flour or regular whole-grain flour 75 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup 45 mL
- 1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400 °F (200 °C).
- 2. In medium bowl, toss apple slices with lemon juice, 1 Tbsp (15 mL) each of brown sugar and cinnamon.
- 3. In large bowl, beat eggs with electric hand mixer on high speed until frothy. Add milk, remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar, vanilla and salt, and mix on low speed to combine. Sprinkle in flours and continue to mix on low until just combined.
- 4. In 12-inch (30-cm) cast iron or oven-proof, nonstick skillet, heat canola oil in over medium heat. Add apple slices and cook until softened while still retaining their shape, about 5 minutes. In skillet, arrange apple slices in single layer and pour batter evenly over them. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until pancake is set and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cut into eight wedges. Serve drizzled with maple syrup.
- Tip: Make the batter up to a day ahead for less fuss on the day of serving.
|Gras saturés||1 g|
Oven Pancake with Sautéed Fruit & Berries
Variations of this dish are served in Austria, Germany and the U.S., where the Pennsylvania Dutch (who were German) are said to have introduced it. Traditionally made with apples or raisins, it gets a sunny lift with seasonal fruit and berries. Because its a one-pan preparation, its much easier than making individual pancakes or waffles for breakfast or brunch. Be sure to use a skillet with sloped sides rather than a straight-sided sauté pan so that the batter can glide up the sides as it puffs in the oven.
Salmon and Dill Pancake Muffins
Enjoy these muffins warm from the oven or make a batch and freeze for a quick breakfast-to-go on busy mornings. Canola oil helps produce a moist and tender crumb.