Braised Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 2 lb lean stew beef or bison 1 kg
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 cups chopped carrots, about 6 carrots total 750 mL
- 2 cups cubed rutabaga, about 1 x 2-inch (2.5 x 5-cm) cubes 500 mL
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon leaves 2 mL
- 1 tsp dried summer savory* 5 mL
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour 60 mL
- 1 can (10 oz or 284 mL) low-sodium beef broth, undiluted
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes 250 mL
- 1 cup red wine, merlot or Burgundy wine 250 mL
- 1/2 cup water 125 mL
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce 15 mL
- 2 stems fresh rosemary
- Cooks Tip: * Herb similar to sage.
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
- 2. In large, 14 cup (3.5 L) Dutch oven, place beef, onions, carrots, rutabaga and garlic. Drizzle with canola oil and toss to coat.
- 3. Sprinkle with thyme, pepper, tarragon, summer savory and flour. Toss to coat.
- 4. Add beef broth, tomatoes, red wine, water and Worcestershire. Place rosemary stems on top.
- 5. Cover and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove from oven. Remove rosemary, stir and serve. Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to three days
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||9 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
Chicken with Lime, Garlic and Cashews
"Aside from the heart healthy benefits of canola oil, I love using it in a marinade because of its mild, almost neutral flavor. Canola oil allows the flavors of the lime, garlic and soy sauce to come through in this recipe. The mild taste of canola oil makes it great in a salad dressing too, when you want to taste the ingredients and not the oil."
Grilled Salmon with Dijon Raspberry Vinaigrette
Raspberries and Dijon mustard make a unique combination of sweet and savory, which is perfect for grilled salmon.