Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground sirloin 500 g
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 1 mL
- 2 cups chopped cabbage 500 mL
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice 175 mL
- 1 cup sodium-reduced vegetable or beef broth 250 mL
- 1. In large skillet with lid, heat canola oil over medium. Sauté onions and garlic about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add ground beef. Brown about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3. Add cabbage, tomatoes, rice and broth and stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until rice is tender. If preferred instead, after bringing mixture to a boil, bake in oven-proof skillet with lid in 350 °F (180 °C) oven for about 40 minutes.
1 cup (250 mL).
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Cajun Garlic Chicken Thighs
Now this is definitely a slow-simmered skillet of comfort! Tender pieces of chicken are smothered in a rich, brown, garlicky onion sauce. Youll want to double this recipe and keep some in the freezer to pull out after one of those hectic days!
Red Beans and Rice
Traditionally, red beans and rice is served on Mondays, especially during the Mardi Gras season. It is generally made using dried beans and smoked pork sausage, but heres a hurried up version with canned beans that is flavorful and healthy, too. Canola oil helps brown the lean turkey sausage and keep saturated fat in check.