Creamy Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni 500 mL
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 60 mL
- 2 1/2 cup milk 625 mL
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese 375 mL
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese 375 mL
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese 125 mL
- 1 tsp garlic powder 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp paprika 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard 2 mL
- 2 Tbsp canola oil 30 mL
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs 125 mL
- 1. In a pot of boiling water, lightly salt water and add macaroni; cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, heat 3 Tbsp (45 mL) canola oil over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses, garlic powder, paprika and dry mustard. Cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce has thickened. Pour sauce over macaroni, mix and add to a large casserole dish.
- 3. In a skillet, add 2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni and cheese. Bake at 350ºF (175ºC) for about 30 minutes. Serve.
1 cup (250 mL)
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
Bistro Chicken Pasta Salad
This dish makes a great lunch or light dinner that can be ready to go for hungry kids or spontaneous guests. You may want to double the recipe because it goes so fast.
Kids will love this hearty, fun dish to start the day. It is high in protein and filled with Mexican flavors.