Springtime Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Maple Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup 45 mL
- 2 Tbsp tarragon flavoured wine vinegar 30 mL
- 1 tsp dried tarragon 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- Springtime Salad
- 1 pkg (5 oz/142g) mesclun
- 12 strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted 60 mL
- 1/4 cup coarsley chopped pecans 60 mL
- 1. In a small bowl whisk maple syrup, vinegar, tarragon and salt. While whisking slowly drizzle in canola oil. Set aside for at least 1 hour. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Shake well before drizzling over salad.
- 2. To toast sunflower seeds, spread seeds in single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 °F (180 °C) for 6 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan frequently, until lightly browned. Seeds darken upon cooling.
- 3. Using four individual salad plates or bowl, divide the mesclun evenly. Top each with one-quarter of the strawberries, sunflower seeds and pecans. Serve drizzled with Maple Vinaigrette.
- Tip: Even though the package says that the mesclun is pre-washed, we like to wash and spin dry just before serving.
- To toast sunflower seeds in microwave, spread in single layer on microwaveable plate and microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Make into a dinner salad, top julienne strips of roast beef.
- Substitute mango cubes, mandarin orange section or clementines for the strawberries.
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
Artichoke and Spinach Rotini Salad with Tuna
This is an interesting alternative to traditional pasta salad with a ton of great vegetables and flavors to satisfy any palate.
Broccoli Black Bean Salad
Every pantry should have a few cans of black beans on hand to use in quick salads like this one! Canola oil keeps this healthy dish low in saturated fat.
Broiled Trout with Lemon Oil & Oven-Grilled Vegetables
The star of this recipe is delicious lemon canola oil, which should be a staple in any pantry. It may be used on fish, in salad dressings, on roasted vegetables and just about anywhere you would use canola oil. Here, it makes this simply prepared broiled trout with vegetables a healthy and tasty weekday meal.