Chicken Soup Mexicana
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 4 celery stalks, sliced (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 2 tsp cumin 10 mL
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes 5 mL
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken stock 2 L
- 2/3 cup lentils 150 mL
- 1 can (19 oz) tomatoes, chopped 540 mL
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced (about 1 cup/ 250 mL)
- 2 lbs cooked chicken, cubed 1 kg (about 7 cups/1.75 L)
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup/75 mL)
- 1 cup frozen peas 250 mL
- 1 small avocado, peeled and sliced (about 1/2 cup/125 mL)
- 1. In Dutch oven, heat canola oil. Add garlic, onion and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender. Season with black pepper, cumin and red pepper flakes.
- 2. Add chicken stock, lentils, tomatoes and carrots. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Add chicken, zucchini and peas. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until vegetables are tender. Garnish with avocado slices.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 50 minutes
- Total time: 60 minutes
- This recipe has been certified by the American Heart Association®
2 cups (500 mL).
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
Chunky Chicken, Vegetable and Rosemary Stew
Here's a great one-pot meal to warm and soothe a hungry, weary body after a hard workout. By using chicken, vegetables and beans, this stew provides a serving of high-quality protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fiber and phytonutrients. Canola oil is a good source of healthy fats.
Braised Beef and Vegetable Stew
This beef and vegetable stew is a healthy take on a hearty classic. Braising allows the beef and vegetables to reach the perfect tenderness while the tomatoes, red wine and Worcestershire give the dish just the right amount of acidity.