Layered Potato, Dill and Shrimp Salad
- 6 cups water (1.5 L)
- 12 oz. red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) cubes (350 g)
- 1 lb. peeled and deveined raw shrimp 500 g
- 1 cup diced orange bell pepper 250 mL
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion 125 mL
- 2 oz. small pimiento-stuffed green olives, halved (about 18 olives) 60 g
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar 60 mL
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 0.5 mL
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) dried dill
- 4 cups arugula 1 L
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and shrimp, return to a full boil and cook 4 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Drain in colander and run under cold water to cool quickly and stop cooking process. Drain well.
- 2. Arrange the shrimp mixture in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) glass baking dish. Top with the bell pepper, onion, and olives.
- 3. In a jar, combine canola oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Secure with lid and shake vigorously until well blended. Drizzle the vinegar mixture evenly over all. Sprinkle with the dill. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours to allow flavors to absorb.
- 4. Divide arugula into 4 shallow bowls, spoon shrimp mixture evenly over each serving.
2 cups (500 mL) per serving
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
Pomegranate-Ginger Salad with Fresh Fennel
Make this colorful salad when berries are at their best. The zesty dressing will stay free-flowing in the fridge thanks to canola oil’s low saturated fat content. Be sure to place the fennel on the salad after the dressing so it doesn’t turn pink.
Shrimp Salad with Golden Raisin Vinaigrette
Shrimp, dried chilis, and coriander are classic to many a coastal south Indian meal. The yellow split peas, when used as a spice, as in this recipe's blend, is a hallmark of cooking the south Indian way. When the shrimp is pan seared with shallots (yet another "southie") and served over a bed of salad greens (never eaten in traditional Indian meals) that's drizzled with golden raisin (a component in many an Indian dessert, used here to offset the pungency from the dried red chilies in the shrimp) vinaigrette, the end result is nothing short of magic.