- 8 oz lean ground beef 250 g
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms 250 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tsp canola oil, divided 20 mL
- 1/4 tsp dried Italian seasoning 1 mL
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 14 oz prepared pizza dough 400 g
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese 125 mL
- 1 cup reduced-sodium marinara sauce, warmed 250 mL
- 1. In large non-stick skillet, brown beef over medium heat until beef crumbles; drain and set aside. In separate large skillet, sauté onion, mushrooms and garlic in 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in Italian seasoning and pepper. Add to ground beef and set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
- 3. Divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each dough piece into 3 inch (7.5 cm) diameter. Spoon beef mixture equally over half of each piece, leaving 1/2 inch (1 cm) border. Top equally with cheese.
- 4. Fold dough over filling until edges almost meet. Bring bottom edges over top edges and crimp dough with fingers to form rim. Prick tops of calzones with fork to allow steam to escape. Place on large baking sheet lightly greased and floured.
- 5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with warm marinara sauce.
- Tip: You can make these one day ahead of time and heat before serving the next day. Lightly brush calzones with canola oil before placing in the oven for a nice golden color and crisp texture. These calzones will keep in the refrigerator as leftovers.
1 mini calzone
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|